Wear a helmet. Ride at your own risk. Obey the rules of the road. Bring a pump, tube and tools. Be courteous towards your fellow riders and the public.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Chris Husing - 1982



My relationship with cycling began in 1982. I watched a viewing of "Sunday in Hell" at a theater on J street just across from Macy's. Shortly later, I was a spectator at Nevada City and If I remember correctly Toby Powers won that day.  
I was hooked.  
I learned of the south river ride from the Bicycle Business and decided to give it a try. I had an old, way too big English Dawes that I painted Bianchi green. I remember meeting Vince Gee and Tim Imai and they would give me cycling tips. 
I was dropped often and quickly, but was determined to get the fitness and strategies to stay with the main group.  Eventually, this high school senior with a piece of junk touring bike finished with the leaders.  
One crazy memory I have back in the early 90s, we had just concluded the south river ride and were riding across the Capitol bridge. A mother duck with a bunch of ducklings was stuck in the middle of the road unable to get her offspring to safety. The peleton stopped, blocked some of the traffic, and many of us in our cycling cleats ran around helping catch and put her ducklings out of danger.
Chris Husing

No comments:

Post a Comment